The tech industry has always been a couple of steps ahead, offering innovative approaches in working conditions.
Hiring remote specialists became a new tendency for almost a decade now, years before the pandemic. If at the beginning only selective companies opted for know-how, the forced working from home during Covid-19 attracted more followers, proving its efficiency and benefits.
Remote working is not only about saving costs on office premises or saving time on transport communication. It is also about expanding the boundaries of geographic locations and finding the best talents around the world. Today, when you want to find a programmer for startup company, the first thought that comes to your mind is looking globally.
What benefits can remote work bring, and why do more and more businesses turn to international specialists? Why do software developers work from home, and more and more talk of work-life balance? We have our say.
The current landscape in the working culture is influenced by various factors. The dynamic of the tech industry pushes specialists to look for new opportunities and further development. Businesses, in their turn, focus on smarter solutions and more efficient approaches to make their projects stand out from the crowd.
Why do software engineers work at home, preferring sometimes limited isolated living rooms to spacious open premises with comfortable conditions and social interactions?
Do Software Engineers Work From Home Because Of Costs?
Several factors influence developers’ choice of working conditions, and cost is not even in the top 3 reasons. According to Forbes Advisor, the most frequently cited reasons include flexible working hours, work-provided equipment that makes their work as comfortable as in the office, and work-life balance. The tech industry focuses on results rather than on the process, which gives space for flexibility directly influencing specialists’ time management and satisfaction with work.
Costs also play an important role, so when you wonder why software engineers work at home, think of the costs a company saves on the office. Operating in hybrid mode or completely remotely, a company can add these costs to developers’ salaries, attracting the best talents this way. Specialists also save on public transport, petrol, and maintenance fees for individual transport.
Other benefits include collaboration with international teams, which can lead to specialists’ upskilling, and better productivity when developers can concentrate on tasks instead of spending time on small talk, unnecessary meetings, and breaks.
Why Do Businesses Prefer Hiring Internationally?
Looking for specialists beyond geographic boundaries opens numerous possibilities, especially in cases of local market shortages for specific skills, cost savings, and a company’s diversity approach. Why do software engineers work from home? Because numerous companies offer attractive conditions that benefit both, a company and a specialist.
Here are the main reasons businesses start searching for talent internationally:
- Access to a global talent pool. Searching for specialists from different countries increases the chances of finding a suitable match for the project team. Some businesses look for specific qualifications or skills that the local market can lack.
- Continuous operations. When hiring specialists from different countries and different time zones, managers can benefit from continuous operations. The flexibility of work allows splitting tasks equally, which in the end will be delivered on time and in shorter deadlines.
- Cost savings. When do software developers work from home? When they have a good connection and a comfortable working environment. Even providing all this to employees remotely, the companies will save on offices and third-party contracts. Besides, developers’ compensation from abroad can be lower than that of local specialists thanks to the difference in the countries’ living costs.
- Diversity and inclusion. Many businesses focus today on the diversity and inclusion approach. Forming a team of foreigners from different countries brings many fresh perspectives and gives opportunities to various talents. Besides, when do software engineers work at home, being hired by an international company? When they care for their well-being while contributing to global processes and innovations.
Common Challenges Of Hiring Remote International Specialists
Some benefits of working remotely for some can equally be considered challenges for others. While some enjoy the work-life balance that comes with remote work, others find themselves uncomfortable working and resting in the same place all the time. While some enjoy saved time on transport, others miss social interactions that are possible only in face-to-face meetings.
However, there are some points to consider while hiring remote international specialists:
- Communication barriers. Businesses should focus on building international teams from the beginning. The communication language should be English, or any other, but common for all team members. Otherwise, the specialists can go through unpleasant communication barriers and stressful situations.
- Legal requirements. Companies should be ready to deal with international labor laws and tax regulations. These aspects are present in compensation packages, contract-signing agreements, and data privacy laws.
- Access to tools. While located in different parts of the world, team members can sometimes have difficulty connecting to the same tools. Transferring the main tools into the cloud or using VPN services usually helps to solve these issues.
- Collaboration. It is important to find an approach to cooperation that will include all team members and will put them in the same position. Cultural differences should be considered in building an effective collaboration in the team.
Embracing Opportunities For Hiring International Talents
The adoption of remote work has expanded geographic boundaries, bringing endless opportunities for businesses and professionals. Why do software developers work from home today? Because they have exciting possibilities to stay home while contributing to international businesses and to focus on work-life balance, saving time on travel.
Businesses transferring their focus to remote work benefit from international teams, formed by great talents from across the globe. With the right strategies, the challenges of remote work transform into opportunities, bringing the potential for innovation and a company’s growth. The availability of numerous tools and technologies helps to manage international teams with no effort, while the flexibility of international laws opens the doors to global talent pools.
Behind every international specialist lies the creativity, innovation, and multiple perspectives that move the progress of the project and contribute to a company’s success. With multiple advantages, this tendency that shapes the tech landscape doesn’t seem to fade away anytime soon.