How to move a fridge without scratching the floor or breaking it? The solution is to strictly read the instruction manual and follow all the shipping instructions.
If the fridge instruction manual is missing or you can’t follow its recommendations through the vehicle intended for transportation, then read our article carefully to know the exact process for how to move a fridge.
There you will find tips by High Stream Moving on how to transport your refrigerator correctly.
How To Prepare Your Fridge For Transportation?
When we move to a new place of residence, we have to pack things, run, fuss, and remember whether we took everything.
How to move a fridge or any type of heavy instrument moving processes are always going to help you. And these special techniques are always going to help you to know what types of technical things you need to follow for secure fridge transportations.
What if something gets lost, broken, or broken on the way? To prevent such unpleasant events, make a plan for the move. Sort things (dishes, books, textiles, furniture, appliances), pack them and secure them inside the truck.
The refrigerator is best packed in the factory box. Otherwise, cardboard, thick paper, or special bubble wrap will do.
Transporting a refrigerating unit without packing is by no means possible. Before the appliances get to the warehouse stores, the manufacturers take care of reliable and safe packaging of new refrigerators.
How To Move A Fridge By Yourself Without Taking Anybody’s Help?
If you need to move a refrigerator already in use, prepare the unit in advance. Usually, this process begins one day before transportation.
How to move a fridge which is already in use? You will need to do the following: As new fridge transportations are always easy to do. But which fridges are already in use you have to give some time to prepare your fridge for the transportations.
Here are some of the arrangements which you have for hassle-free transportation.
- Remove food from the freezer and refrigerator compartment;
- Turn off and completely defrost your refrigerator;
- Clean the inside and outside with a lukewarm soapy solution;
- Remove all the shelves and drawers and wrap them in the paper;
- Remove excess moisture and dry it inside.
To safely transport the refrigerator, the compressor must be secured with special bolts or rope. Otherwise, from the jolting, it can simply fly out of place. Attach the wire carefully with tape to the compressor. If you purchased a non-standard model that does not fit freely in the opening, remove the door or remove the door handle.
Secure the doors of the cooling unit with painter’s tape, string, or tie straps so that they do not accidentally open and tear off during removal from the room or transportation.
Loading/unloading is carried out with great care. Never hold the door handle of your refrigerator. It is not safe. It may come off.
Tip: Do not ignore the above steps, as failure to do at least one of them may cause your refrigerator to break down. If you are searching for the solutions to how to move a fridge by yourself. Then these small tips are always going to help you make the right accommodations before transportation.
How To Transport A Fridge In A Horizontal Position?
Below you can find the variants of self-transport of the refrigerating appliances:
- Firstly, you can call the specialists who will do everything for you: they will pack it properly, take it out of the house or apartment, move it and take it to a new place;
- Secondly, you can pack yourself and order a truck with the necessary height of the sides;
- Thirdly, transport the refrigerator by yourself.
That is why ‘how to move a fridge downstairs? This is a reasonable question: Hence the vertical shifting of the refrigerator is easy. But moving the fridge downstairs is tricky. Especially since not everyone has cars that allow vertical transportation and a trolley that can climb up the stairs, it all depends on which side to put the unit on.
- The back of the refrigerator, including the cooling grill, is poorly protected from various damages during transportation. Under the unit’s weight, the grid and insulation can also fail. In addition, pipe breaks can occur, as well as incorrect distribution of freon and oil in the system. This is why experts do not allow the refrigerator to be placed horizontally.
- It is forbidden to put the refrigerator on the door. In outdated models, a protruding handle prevents this. It is not allowed to do this because the door fasteners can break, and there is a high probability of oil mixing with freon.
- It is possible to transport your refrigerator only on one side. Only in this case can you hope that the oil will not get into the pipes of the circuit and will remain in the container, and when the unit is set in an upright position, it will drain back.
If transporting the refrigerator lying on its side, the side where the discharge tube is located should be on top. It is most often the same as the side where the door fasteners are located.
How Long After Transportation Can Your Refrigerator Be Turned On?
The trouble-free operation of your refrigerator is not only affected by its proper transportation but also by the temperature of the ambient air. We offer you a list of the most important requirements for transporting your refrigerator:
- If the refrigerator has a drip system, you can transport it only after it is completely defrosted. A refrigerator with a no-frost system does not need to be defrosted, just unplug it and wash it inside.
- If it is warm outside, the time for the equipment to rest after transportation should be four hours, and if it is cold, it should be about eight hours;
- If the refrigerator is transported horizontally, then in warm weather, it must stand for eight hours, in cold weather for half a day, and ideally for 24 hours.
Now, after reading the whole article, you know the exact procedures of how to move a fridge. But making the right arrangements is always the correct step. Packed fridge transportations are much easier than transporting the used fridges. Hence if you frequently shift your locations, then it is better to preserve all the items for packing your fridges. Obviously, you want to shift the fridge without breaking it.